Saturday, December 10, 2011

How can I install an electric start on a 1988 Arctic Cat Cougar snowmobile?

My daughter bought this snowmoblie and neither of us are strong enough to start it with the pull cord. I would like to install an electric starter to make life easier.|||Unfortunately I dont think its possible. You would have to install a flywheel that has teeth on it for a starter to ingage, the engine would have to have a place for the starter to mount and then theres a battery and wiring. Some of the people who race snowmobiles have an electric motor that is hand help and ingaged into the crankshaft. But carrying one of those wouldnt be fun .Call a snowmobile shop and see if they can do it , but you`d be better off buying one that has electric start.|||If it didn't come with an electric starter then it probably can't be added now.





But the trick isn't the starter. You should try using STARTER-FLUID. You can get them at hardware store - usually for small engines like lawn mowers.





Also get the snow mobile "winterized" when out of season. Gasoline turns into thick varnish when left around for few months.








Good Luck.

2 comments:

  1. I added a1989 start kit to my 88 cougar all the parts fit right on and works great. I had to add a couple of wires.But this is no trouble if you know how to wire things.An 89 wire harness may work? I just added that were needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. Website

    ReplyDelete